Last night was our farewell party with the host families (before moving into the apartments Saturday morning!) We all wore traditional Lanna (nothern Thai) clothing. All the students sang a song in Thai together, but there was also an open talent show. This wasn't your typical talent show where people who think they're talented put on a show, but rather our host families' opportunity to teach us something they want us to perform and be pleased and happy while they watched.
Meh had been teaching me this nice, long legitimate song throughout my stay. I didn't realize there was a talent show until a few weeks ago, but I still didn't know if she wanted me to perform the song or whether it was just something nice to sing together. Even the morning of the party, since I didn't have music for the song, I didn't think I would be performing.
It wasn't until I arrived at the party and we saw that another girl's host brother had brought a guitar did Meh make clear that she wanted me to sing. I'd brought my paper with the lyrics in case... but for those of you who know me well, I don't enjoy singing, much less in front of groups.
But, this was for Meh. And then she suggested that my sisters sing along with me (because evidently they just know the entire song?). I figured if we did it together, I could do this! It ended up being really fun. Surprisingly enough, though I've never considered myself to be a good singer, I got a lot of really genuine compliments afterwards. (I'll let you judge for yourself!) The entire night was really amazing... a great culmination of our month together. I'll put up more pictures later!
PS: in case you're wondering what the song says, its about a girl who is beautiful but all the boys in Chiang Mai and the surrounding cities just mess with her heart and won't marry her. So she decides to just go live in the mountains, where she believes she'll find a good man. At least that's the translation I got from Meh in Thai!
No comments:
Post a Comment