Headed out again tomorrow morning. Going on my first adventure all on my own! Will be traveling up to Doi Chang by bus and rot deng to meet with their Women's Group. I met one of the women when she came to a meeting at IMPECT. We struck up a conversation while making coffee in the morning, and she immediately jumped into telling me about how large their women's group is, the livelihood projects they're working on (coffee, jam, weaving and handicrafts) and what they hope to do in the future.
She also asked me if I had any friends that could come advise them on their projects... and while I don't know anyone who is looking to come do that right now, it seemed to me like an interesting match for both of us. One of the things I'm most interested in is women's participation, and these women have developed what seems like a strong group, so I'd love to learn more about how they've done so. And heck, I'm an econ major, so maybe I can give a few suggestions and make myself useful (while avoiding becoming the western educated 'expert', I hope).
And if all that fails, I'll just have a good time getting to know these women. Pi Chome, the woman I met, is one of the more dynamic women I've met so far. I could use a little solo-adventure and sabai time! I've been feeling emotionally and physically exhausted since getting back late last week, despite all my attempts to ward it off (including sleep, crossfit, and a haircut-- it's short again!) It's a little harder to be here on my own than I expected-- my support system just isn't a strong as it is at home. The friendships I'm developing with co-workers can't compare to my relationships with all of you! Also, realizing I have a full month til I leave and then will only have a week before starting work in Kalamazoo and 2 weeks before school starts.... overwhelmed me. I had actually forgotten it was summer time, which could become problematic later when it's no longer summertime. All this in mind, I actually gave a fleeting thought yesterday to returning a week or so earlier than planned.
But I think the excitement of these next week weeks will sustain me. When I return to Chiang Mai from Doi Chang, it'll be straight off to Bangkok for the Indigenous People's Festival-- something I've seen in videos and am very excited to experience in person. Before I know it, I'll only have a few weeks left and will have to wrap everything up, make sure I have all the info I need, get help with final translations, etc. So I didn't give coming back early more than a brief thought-- but that gives you an idea of where my heart & head have been recently. Looking forward to refreshing myself these next few weeks. Hope you're able to do the same!
No comments:
Post a Comment