If the first week was culture shock and the second was
settling in, this week has been the week of being in the routine. While the first two weeks flew by, this week has
been so long that I had to remind myself it was only week three. Feels like I’ve
been here forever again.
That’s not to say it was boring. I’ve continued to have the
same rollercoaster of emotions, from lows, struggles, and frustrations back up
to rewarding highs. I’m learning to collect myself during the times of “What am
I doing here?” or “Why did I think I could do this?” so that I can stay focused
and wait out those times I’m frustrated or critical of myself until the moments
of success come.
… Like the day I had to force
communication with our project director, having to pull information out of him with
question after question and specifically ask for a meeting to discuss some
things while he was still in town. But after an afternoon of crossfit and light-hearted
dinner with co-workers, we had a great staff meeting about the focus group
interviews I’m doing at the end of the month. Went from feeling like I was
failing at my research methods, to my three co-workers now collaborating with
me and owning this research too to varying extents, as I’d hoped.
… Or when the meeting I didn’t know
we were having (one of the many) ended up being really relevant to my research,
including a tense discussion of the new methods in this project and how they
change the way the mapping projects work together. Which went way over time so I had to leave early… to
be really late to work with Ajaan
Wilasinee on translating, still not having eaten by mid afternoon. So much
tension and stress! But later, when I came back to IMPECT with a little snack
for my co-workers to brighten their day, we ended up eating dinner together and
hanging out all evening. One of the more rewarding times yet.
Sometimes I feel integrated into IMPECT and sometimes I don’t.
In the day to day, I really do whatever I want to do. Since the director of our
mapping project often isn’t here, I just work in the same room as the mapping
staff I know from before. I have no idea what they think I’m doing… which makes
me feel odd, because I’m not sure what they think about my role here or my
place in their work. But I also have
more of a social circle here than I did at first, because I have two roommates
now—two of the women that I know best. One that I became close with before and
the girl I’m working with now. Which is nice, because now I have people to chat
with or go eat with and am not completely alone outside work hours.
I’m missing going out to villages as often as I did before,
because that was such a rewarding part of working here—building relationships
with people and hearing their stories. But I’m somehow finding a way to stay
busy. I’ve been translating things for myself pretty much all week. The
language barrier makes things much more difficult than I’d remembered... not just
preparing interviews and translating them (it took me days and a 3 hour session
with Ajaan Wilasinee to fully, accurately translate my first interview) but
also simple things like minutes from important meetings, community documents,
and even our monthly work plan.
Before, if there were documents like that in Thai that I
couldn’t read, I didn’t really worry about it. My research demands for ISDSI
during my internship were so minimal that I could get by on what I understood or
learned by asking other people. But now, a lot of these things are important! I
need to know what our department is doing for the month, need to understand meeting
discussions between the different mapping departments, need to know communities’
histories so I can make my interviews as effective as possible. Which are great
ideals… but this week it’s just meant a ton
of translation.
Hopefully more exciting things to come soon! I’m starting IMPECT
staff interviews tonight and have the focus group interviews in villages in a
little over a week. Going to try to plan some other trips too.. We’ll see what happens!
No comments:
Post a Comment