Wouldn’t be a trip without a little unexpected surprise, no?
(This is part 2 of my update after much time away. Check out my previous post as well for the more positive, heartwarming things)
But nothing is without mitigating circumstances, and my body
decided to have a few demands of its own. Our last week was spent in villages that
are probably some of the more rural and remote I’ve been to, accessible by
small crumbling ‘main’ roads and close to the Burmese border. While one of the
best experiences I’ve had, we didn’t think much about convenience or
cleanliness, and thus probably sanitation as well. We walked to some villages
because the roads were impassible in the rain, didn’t change clothes for 3 or
more days, and I are dog 2 or 3 times unknowingly. On our way home, when my
director wasn’t feeling well, he mentioned that there was malaria in the area.
(As it ended up, he does in fact have malaria).
All this was
evidently just a little too much for my body. Though I’ve never had issues with
food before and rarely ever even been sick here, in the days after we got back,
I started developing serious stomach pains. The other symptoms varied—an almost
acid reflux like reaction to eating or drinking, no appetite, and increasingly
sharp stomach pain that was turning into back pain and full body aches. I
waited it out, thinking it would pass. Day 1 I actually did my border run trip,
and Day 2 I went to ISDSI to work on translations. But by noon, I couldn’t
focus any longer… I’d reached and surpassed my pain tolerance.
No one at ISDSI could diagnose or treat this sort of thing,
so I went to the hospital. In my rush to be relieved of the pain, I even left
my backpack and computer, just taking my wallet and phone. The nurses and
doctor weren’t really sure what to make of me—a farang who spoke Thai and drove
herself to the hospital, but was on the verge of tears. Said she worked and
lived here but came alone. To be honest, I didn’t know what to do with myself
either. I’m normally a strong independent person, but when I reach my limit,
that’s that. Anything else puts me over the edge. The doctor said he thought I
had a stomach infection and advised admitting me. I had no idea if it was
necessary or not, but I couldn’t handle this anymore myself and needed someone
to take care of me. The first hour alone in the hospital, before I had the
chance to call anyone, wasn’t really any better. After multiple attempts to put
in my IV (unfortunately, as someone generally scared of needles, I also have
small veins), I curled up and had a good cry.
But thankfully, I’m not alone here. Within an hour of calling
a field instructor from ISDSI and my friend from work, both were here with
documents I needed and my backpack. Once it was late enough to be morning in
the US, I called and had two good conversations with my parents. So good to
hear their voices (as I tried to inform them without being too startling that I
was in the hospital). My friend Ae stayed here with me through the night; while
not necessary, it made the experience a lot better to have a friend to help me,
to talk to, watch a movie with. Now after staying overnight and getting some
antibiotics, painkillers, and fluids, I’m feeling a lot better. I’m in the
process of being discharged, should be home by the afternoon.
But the real outcome has been something more. As I lay in
this bed yesterday, looking out my window at the Chiang Mai skyline, I realized
how familiar this place is, how much it feels like home. And not just the
scenery— even in the toughest situations, when I can’t handle things on my own,
I have a support network here that I can lean on, people that will take care of
me. These aren’t just surface relationships, these are true friends.
Sounds like you caught one of those mystery bugs we in the US are mostly rid of. Glad to hear the antibiotics/IV helped you out. Keep writing!
ReplyDelete