Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Summer's almost gone

As I get ready to leave soon, I’ve been thinking back over the summer, trying to figure out what I actually accomplished (especially because I know a few people that had stellar summers, with roadtrips, internships, music festivals and the like.) While I didn’t really do anything concrete, I’m happy with how I spent my summer.

What did I do?


-a lot of work (meaning research, sitting at home on my computer). In retrospect I learned a lot, but 2.5 research jobs made me a little stir crazy at times and means I read WAY too much. On the upside, I learned an immense amount about both Michigan’s economy and carbon credits, the two topics I was focusing on.

-statistics. Taking a class this summer seemed like a good idea, and it was smart, but it was also took all my willpower to go most days. You try reading and writing all day and then going to do math for 2 hours at 5 pm… every day!

-running (my sanity) and lifting with my brother (bro bonding)

-getting ready for Thailand. For most the summer, that just meant weening myself off coffee, not drinking soda, and starting to eat meat. In the last few weeks, its meant way too many consumer decisions as I get the necessary gear. In general though, it means being so ready to leave the US.

-reading and watching movies. Yeah, I wasn’t actually complaining about reading before. It’s one of my favorite things to do, especially in the summer. When I have time to really stop, think, and question the way things are.. the insatiable drive I have to find that thing that can somehow change the unjust, stratified, broken world we live in really kicks into overdrive. Thus far in my life, that's translated into a lot of reading. I tend to read mostly critical historical accounts and economic or social critiques, in order to learn about what’s really happening in the world and how its affecting people. 

-found new news sources (when I got tired of getting around NY Times’ monthly limits): Al Jazeera English, Foreign Policy, and Democracy Now are excellent.

-tried to plan my life. My internal dialogue about this sounds something like a revolutionary, an aid worker, a suit at an international org, and my mother all arguing. Imagine that and you pretty much get the picture.

-started watching a TV series! I had to have some fun. Started watching The Wire, currently on season 3.

-having SUCH an adult sleeping schedule (as if that wasn’t obvious from everything above.) Typically up around 7:30, in bed by 11:30. 

-lived with the fam. Being with the family all summer was really different from school, and living at home without a car made me feel like a kid again. The first few weeks, I had to fight the feeling that I was regressing.. which is that last thing I needed, because I’ve been doing well recently after the ups-and-downs of the last few years. But I just pushed myself forward, and it ended up turning out well. For one thing, I really got to know my brothers again, which was meaningful. I’m definitely ready to leave, but coming home for the summer was the right thing to do. 

-friend time. I didn’t see many people in Springfield, because when high school ended... I left it behind, to be honest. But I did spend some quality time with my best friends from high school, and went to visit Grace and Jess in Kzoo which was absolutely wonderful.

That’s about it. It was a pretty basic summer at home, but I feel really refreshed and completely refocused on the things I feel are important as I get ready to leave for Thailand. This time definitely helped me get to know myself again and prepare for all that’s coming next.  

summer reading list:
  • People’s History of the United States. A major undertaking (currently on pg 400) but worth every moment. I’ve learned so much, and firmly believe our country would be better off if Zinn’s book was part of every high school US history curriculum.
  • Shock Doctrine. Read it for my research with Kokushkin, but it built really well on a lot of things I read last summer about the IMF/free trade/market liberalization. 
  • Destiny Disrupted: history of the world through Islamic eyes. Started it last summer but finally finished it. So easy to read- written like a story, and actually written by my Afghan step-grandmother’s brother. 
  • Another Country. A novel, imagine that! But seriously, I fell in love with James Baldwin’s writing after reading Giovanni’s Room in Philly.
  • Children of Jihad. I want Jared Cohen’s life! (I think. I’ve spent half the summer debating whether I want to aspire to the State Dept: could I make a positive impact or would the moral conflicts be too great? On that note, where aren’t they?)
  • A Land on Fire. Prep reading for Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment